Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Racial Question...

So I got to thinking about people who are of multiple races and I started wondering something; Maybe one of you can help me solve this...

Why is it that when someone is half one race and half another, people always refer to them as the darker race?

Example... I have a friend that's half Caucasian and half Korean. Yet, when people who don't know her name are referring to her, they would say "you know, the tiny, little cute Asian girl." Or if someone is half Caucasian and half African American, they'd be referred to as "Black."

Why is it that the half CAUCASIAN part always gets overlooked? If someone who was 1/2 Chinese and 1/2 Caucasian was to fill out one of those "check which box best describes your race" or whatever, do you think they would be more inclined to check the "Caucasian" or the "Chinese" box?

Maybe I'm the only one who would even think of something like that... I hope that doesn't seem racist of me, because I'm definitely NOT!!! I am just curious...

One of my guy friends is half Caucasian and half Asian and I always tell him he's my favorite "cocky-asian" :) Another one of my friends is Asian and for the longest time I referred to her as the "lazy asian" and now we condensed it to the "Lasian." :) Gotta love Hollywood for putting the word-meshing thing into everyday play. "Bennifer" "TomKat" "Branjolina" etc...

2 comments:

yenn said...

It might stem back from when people in the South who were 1/8th Black and 7/8 White where still considered black

Kelso said...

i think its all because white is dull and boring. gotta spice things up with the other colors (ie black, brown, red, and in my case yellow). why do you always go 'tanning?' because you like the color and you always will. color is just better.