Monday, November 19, 2007

Phrases that make me wonder....

We've all used them. They are used every day by people all over the world. Lately, however, common phrases and figures of speech have made me chuckle when I actually thought about them... Allow me to share a few:

1.) "They have been selling like HOTCAKES!" -- A phrase generally used to describe an item that is selling rapidly and is hard to keep in-stock. Hmmm... I never knew "hotcakes"/pancakes were such a hot commodity... Am I the only person that is apparently missing out on this trend? Are the rest of you frequently rushing out for hotcakes???

2.) "I'm so hungry I could eat a HORSE!" -- While I've never TASTED horse meat, I can be certain in knowing that if I was especially hungry, as the phrase suggests, "horse" would not be my first choice for a meal... siiiick. Why not say something like, "I'm so hungry I could eat an extra-large burger" or "an extra-large chicken salad?" -- WHY would you put "HORSE" in that sentence??? "Horse" just doesn't sound appetitzing to me... Maybe I'm alone on that one.


3.) "Let's be honest for a minute," -- ...I guess I wasn't aware we were LYING before???

4.) "Let's touch base" -- Was this phrase coined by a sports fanatic? I mean really, "TOUCH BASE?" I am not playing baseball, I have no bases. Why does "touch base" mean the same thing as "communicate?" No wonder foreign people have a difficult time learning English. Ha, at that, no wonder half my graduating CLASS had trouble with English!

No comments: