Wednesday, February 13, 2008

President Gordon Bitner Hinckley

Today I had the day off from work, and despite the snow, I drove to the cemetery where President Gordon B. Hinckley was buried next to his wife. It was a lot different than I expected it to be. Since his funeral was not very long ago, I figured his grave site would be adorned with flowers and such. However, this was very much NOT the case. There are two headstones right now; One large one that bears his name and the name of his wife, who died three years ago. And a small one that just has his wife Marjories' name on it. Across the small one lay a single flower. At the base of the larger stone, there were maybe 4 or 5 single flowers. At first I was surprised, but as I drove away I thought about what type of man President Hinckley was. So humble, so unassuming, so kind and caring. He wouldn't want people laying tons of flowers at his grave, he would want them to be out doing the Lord's work or serving their fellow brothers and sisters!

It was on my 'bucket list' to meet this remarkable man and I am heartbroken over his passing.
I am certain I will still meet him, however.....Someday.

In loving memory of President and Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley...

2 comments:

doubleyou said...

thank you for this sweet post.
love u.
whit

Bethy said...

oh I love him! thanks for sharing.